Antarctic Adventure Vocabulary
Matthew Henson Vocabulary
Antarctic Adventure Questions
1. Recall Facts When do the events in this narrative happen?
2. Recall Facts What is Ernest Shackelton's role?
3. Recall Facts What problems do Shackleton and his men face?
4. Recall Facts What is the first thing that goes wrong for the Endurance?
5. Find Cause and Effect Why does the Endurance begin to sink after 278 days stuck in the ice?
6. Identify the Main Idea Why does Ernest Shackleton give the order to abandon ship?
7. Analyze Characters Why does Shackleton decide to stop crossing the ice and camp out instead?
8. Understand Character Traits What words would you use to describe Ernest Shackleton? Use this link: https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adjectives-personality-positive.htm
9. Understand Plot What do you think it was like to be stranded on the ice of Antarctica?
10. Use Visual Elements How did looking at the photographs on the pages of the selection help you to understand the narrative or story? Use the sequence words to help you.
Matthew A. Henson
1. Recall Facts Where is the North Pole?
2. Recall Facts Who led the trip that Matthew Henson took to the North Pole?
3. Recall Facts What honors did Matthew Henson receive for his journey?
4. Analyze Cause and Effect What caused Matthew Henson to almost die on the trip?
5. Recognize Sequence of Events what steps did Henson's group have to take to reach the North Pole?
6. Make Inferences Why do yo think that the National Geographic society did not give Matthew Henson a medal after the 1909 trip?
7. Compare your experiences Why do you think that Matthew Henson and Robert Peary liked each other right away? What makes you like someone right away?
8. Make Inferences Peary sent Henson ahead after Peary hurt his feet. How do you think Peary felt about Matthew Henson?
9. Speculate How do you think Matthew Henson felt when he was not honored with the other North Pole explorers?
Antarctic Adventure Interdisciplinary Connections
Make a biography cube for Ernest Shackleton and Matthew A. Henson
Writing Prompt: How did Shackleton's leadership style get his people through a difficult time?
Topic Sentence 1: He was positive. (Give an example
Topic Sentence 2: He was resourceful (Give an example)
Topic Sentence 3: He had endurance (Give an example)
Writing Prompt: How did Matthew Henson's character position him for a place in adventure history?
Topic Sentence 1: He was curious. (Give an example)
Topic Sentence 2: He was resourceful (Give an example)(How does he compare to William Kamwamba in The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind?)
Topic Sentence 3: He had endurance. (Give an example)
Overarching questions: Who do we know more about historically? Why could that be? How are their lives different? How are their lives the same?