"Rain Forest Creatures: An excerpt from a non-fiction book by Will Osborne and Mary Pope Osborne" from Visions A Level Book from Thomson Heinle
Preview the Selection Questions:
1. What animals do you see above in the web banner?
2. What colors do you see above in the web banner?
3. Do you see these colors where you live? Where?
4. What does this photo suggest you may learn in this selection?
5. What would you like to learn about the rain forest?
6. How would you describe this environment? (Choose a word from this list:
Skill One:Vocabulary and Its Patterns (Grammar)
Learn how to talk about the rain forest.
Scanning: Build Your Fluency
When you scan, you read and change to increase your speed. Scanning means looking quickly at the text for key words to help you answer a question. Work with a partner. Read aloud key words when you look for information. Write your answers on a piece of paper.
Captions: What are they?
Story Questions for your
1. Recall facts: What does the word camouflage mean? SS: Camouflage means ______.
2. Recall facts: When do nocturnal creatures come out? SS: Nocturnal creatures come out _____.
3. Recall facts: What animals do army ants eat? SS: Army ants eat _____.
4. Describe: How does the word army describe what army ants are like? SS: Army ants are _____. https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adjectives-personality-positive.htm AND
5. Using similar to and but choose two animals from the article and describe how they compare and contrast. Sentence starter: The _____ is similar to the ____ because they are both ____. But they are different because the ___ has ___ and the ___ has ___.
6. Do you think bats have good eyesight? SS:Bats have good/bad eyesight because ____.
7. The writers explain that rain forest creatures have colors that help them blend with their natural surroundings. What do you think some of the colors are? Why?
SS: The colors animals wear are ___. They are this color because it helps them to _____ ______ from _____.
Word bank: green, brown, protect, themselves, predators.
8. What is a predator? What is prey? What is their relationship?
SS: A predator is ___. Prey is ___. The predator ___ the _____. (relationship)
9. What size eyes do nocturnal animals have? SS: Nocturnal animals have ____ eyes.
10. What creatures make the rain forest trees twinkle? SS: _____ make the rain forest twinkle.
11. Why do army ants kill? SS: Army ants kill because ___.
Interdisciplinary Connections for a Product
Assignment: Create a pie chart of deforestation across the world. Use the facts below.
Watch this with your parents. This may have some disturbing pictures regarding the earth.
Writing Project: > 100 words
Prompt: How does human activity affect the earth? Explain the topic sentences below with this page's resources.
Three topic sentences:
1) Human activity interrupts life cycles.
2) Human activity leaves toxins in the earth.
3) Human activity can clean up the results of their actions.