Assignment: Keep a journal for ten days. Compare your ten days to Zlata's ten days. Compare your ten days to Anne Frank's ten days. What are the similarities? What are the differences?
Zlata's Diary an excerpt from a diary by Zlata Filopovic for Visions Level A
1. How old do you think the girl in the photograph is?
2. How would you describe her expression? Choose a new word from these lists and look them up.https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adjectives-personality-positive.htm or https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adjectives-personality-negative.htm
3.Is the expression negative or is it positive?
4. This is about her diary. What do you predict will be in it?
5. Have you ever heard of a story about another famous diary?
Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co-Y4SUs-s4
6. What does this foreshadow about the possible theme of
Story and OPD Content Vocabulary Practice
INFINITIVES: a verb with "to" that is the most basic form action. Underline them in a close reading version of the text.
1. Recall Facts Where does Zlata live? Check it out:
2. Recall Facts What does Zlata learn from watching television?
3. Recall Facts Why do Zlata's parents stay up late?
4. Recall Facts What does Zlata's family do when there are explosions near where they live?
5. Summarize How does Keka want to help Zlata? What does Zlata finally decide about Keka's plan?
6. Analyze Cause and Effect Why does the "peace march" on April 12 make Zlata feel hopeful?
7. Compare and Contrast Why is the part of Sarajevo where Zlata lives safe on April 12 than it is on April 20?
8. Draw Conclusions Why do yo think Zlata's mother tries to hide how she feels from Zlata?
9. Make Judgements Do you think Zlata makes the right decision about staying in Sarajevo? Why or why not?
10. Respond If you were Zlata's friend, what advisce would you give her to help her feel brave? How do you stay brave when you are scared? What would you do if you were Zlata?
Write your opinion
Your opinion is what you believe about something. Study the writings and details of Zlata's Diary. Writ a paragraph that explains your opinion of the diary. Remember a paragraph structure. See below:
This is the shape of a paragraph. You start with a topic sentence. You give an explanation of your topic sentence. You then give an example of the topic sentence. Finally, you tie back to the topic sentence. This makes for a tight comprehension of your main point which is for us here to shape your paragraphs like a bus.
Interdisciplinary Connections for a Product
See the Depth & Complexity Matrix for Understanding the Issues surrounding the Story
Find the Anne Frank House and Zlata Filopovic's city of Sarajevo. What continent did these stories take place on?
Writing Prompt: Remember your paragraph structure and don't forget your hooks!
Topic Sentence: I will compare and contrast two stories who both use a journal method to explain what happened to them.
Topic sentence 1: The first story is Zlata's Diary by Zlata Filopovic.
Topic sentence 2: The second story is Anne Frank's Diary by Anne Frank
Topic sentence 3: The resolution in each girl's life is very different.